Follow the recipe below to make 12 delicious chocolate and espresso vegan cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups unbleached cake flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 freshly brewed cup of strong coffee
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup melted dark chocolate (melt over hot water, not in microwave)
2 tablespoons of strong coffee powder
2 tablespoons castor sugar
1/2 cup melted dark chocolate
1 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Prepare cupcake trays.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds of the way. Bake for approximately 16 minutes, testing with a toothpick if necessary.
- Cool the cupcakes completely before filling and icing.
- Mix the filling ingredients together.
- Use a knife to cut a circle in the top of each cupcake, approximately 2/3rds of the diameter of the cupcake and half as deep. Remove this circle and pour filling into the gap before closing up again.
- Mix the icing ingredients together. You might need more or less coconut cream and it might be good to wait until the melted chocolate partially solidifies for a more easily spreadable icing.
- Ice and consume!
This delectable recipe was gifted by Muizenberg’s restaurant Boo’Bolo. Visit them today for amazing vegan cuisine.