Have you ever stopped washing dishes to think of the possible chemicals that are in the dishwashing liquid you’re using? Turn the bottle over and get a nasty surprise – and that’s if the ingredients are actually listed properly.
There are many toxins found in non-organic dishwashing liquid, such as fragrances, formaldehyde, preservatives, and even genetically modified organisms. Then there are chemicals that enable foam as well as colouring agents – you’ll notice that dishwashing liquids are usually bright and colourful. These ingredients are not good for our skin or bodies.
DIY Dishwashing Liquid
Here is an easy recipe, taken from Natural Parents Network, to make your own dishwashing liquid. Bear in mind that it won’t create suds but it cleans well.
What You’ll Need:
- Citrus water (This can be made by adding peels or cut up piece of citrus fruit to eight cups of water at room temperature)
- 1 4-ounce bar of plain, natural soap such as those made by Tropic Traditions
- 1/2 teaspoon of tea tree or grapefruit oil
- Let the citrus mixture sit in a sunny spot for 24 hours and then strain out the peels and citrus.
- Grate the bar of soap with a cheese grater. It helps to freeze the bar beforehand so that it is easier to grate it.
- Heat the mixture of water and citrus in a pot until warm. Don’t let it reach boiling point.
- Remove the pot from the stove and add the soap gratings as well as essential oils to it. Mix it well with a whisk.
- Let the pot sit for 8-12 hours.
- If the mixture has not blended well enough, mix it again and let it sit for another session of 8 to 12 hours.
- Pour the soap mixture into a bottle or soap dispenser.
Tips for Purchasing Dishwashing Liquid
If you want to purchase dishwashing liquid, make sure you become more aware of what you are buying. For both organic and non-organic dishwashing liquid bottles, look for words such as ‘caution’ or ‘warning.’ These show that the product is not really safe to use. Other ingredients, such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Diethanolamine (DEA), a carcinogenic, should be side-stepped as these can be harmful to one’s health. Finally, avoid foam builders, preservatives, stabilisers and colourants.
Here are some safe dishwashing liquid products: