You don’t have to buy chocolate this Valentine’s Day to show your love – make your own delicious organic chocolate desserts that are the perfect last course during a romantic evening. Here are three creative ones to try. Plus, they’ll be an extra sweet gift ’cause you’ve made them from scratch.
Chocolate chip cookies are always a treat. It’s easy to make them because you really don’t need a lot of ingredients.
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups blanched almond flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 cup raw honey
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 slab Honest chocolate that has been broken into pieces (this replaces the organic chocolate chips that are in the original recipe and could be easier for you to hunt down)
1. Make sure you’ve preheated your oven to 190 degrees Celsius while you mix the cane sugar, honey, vanilla extract, eggs, butter and coconut oil.
2. Place the dry ingredients – salt, flour and baking soda – into another bowl where you will mix them, then add them to the wet ingredients.
3. Toss in the pieces of chocolate.
4. Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto the cookie sheet and let them back for approximately 10 minutes. Once they’re deliciously browned, take them out.
Hot chocolate is a must-have. You can make it extra heavenly by adding whipped cream – but at the bottom of the mug, instead of on top, so that it becomes extra creamy and indulgent.
1/2 tablespoon organic cocoa powder (try this one by CocoaFair)
1/2 tablespoon sugar
Pinch of cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon corn starch
Pinch vanilla powder
1/2 cup whipping cream
Chopped nuts of your choice
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon instant powdered milk
How to Make it:
1. Whisk together the powdered milk, cinnamon, salt, vanilla powder, corn starch, milk, sugar and cocoa powder. Make them boil on the stove but keep stirring well.
2. Add whipping cream to mugs where you will be serving the hot chocolate, then pour the hot chocolate over it so that it melts. Yum! Finally, add the chopped nuts on top for a special treat.
Organic Chocolate Mousse
Romantic and sweet – chocolate mousse is the hallmark of a romantic day. A recipe on the Food Network has an easy one – you can also alter it to make the choccie organic.
What you need:
1 cup organic dark chocolate that has been chopped (try a slab from Woolworths)
1 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar that’s been sifted
10 eggs (separated)
2 sticks butter
How to Make it:
1. In a small saucepan, mix the butter and chocolate over a larger saucepan that’s got simmering water.
2. Once it has all melted, remove it from the stove.
3. Mix half the sugar with your egg yolks in a bowl. Beat them with an electric mixer until the yolks look nice and thick.
4. In a separate bowl, use (clean) beaters to mix the egg whites with the rest of the sugar.
5. Take the chocolate mixture and add it to the bowl that has the egg yolks. Blend it in well with a spatula.
6. Fold egg whites into the mixture.
7. Place the mousse in your serving bowls and pop them into the fridge for 12 hours before serving.