You might not think about your skin when you’re typing away on your laptop or staring at your phone screen, but how you use your favourite devices can be taking its toll on the youthfulness of your skin.
Do You Have ‘Tech Neck’?
If you don’t follow good posture when you’re working away in front of a screen, it can lead to premature ageing of your jawline and neck. This happens because the neck muscles weaken. It also can lead to wrinkles – think of those creases that crop up after your neck is in a certain position for too long too regularly. These wrinkles could also happen if you tend to keep glancing down at your cell phone throughout the day. It sounds dramatic, but did you know the average cell phone user checks their phone 110 times per day? If you think of how necks reveal one’s age, it’s definitely a good idea to stop using your phone so much!
Flex your neck! The next time you’re hunched over your laptop or device, remember to move your neck. You can do this at your desk. Sit up straight in your chair and slowly move your head to the left and then to the right. Hold the position on each side for a few seconds. Make your neck muscles really feel the movements.
Cut Down the Glare
If your device screen is too bright, you might not realise that it’s causing you to strain your eyes or even narrow them against the glare. This can lead to wrinkles in the forehead area and also around the eyes, where skin is really delicate and tends to wrinkle easier. Try to make sure that the brightness isn’t set too high for the room you’re in so that your eyes don’t have to painfully adjust.
Do Yoga for Your Face!
A few simple yoga moves for your facial muscles can come in handy to keep your skin elastic.
- To prevent or fight those crow’s feet, place both of your middle fingers at the inner point of your brows – one on each side of your nose. Gently put a bit of pressure on the outer corners of your eyebrows with your index fingers. Your fingers will be making a ‘V’ position. As you’re doing this, look upwards and make sure your lower lids are also moving up, then relax them. After doing this six times, shut your eyes tightly for ten seconds, then you’re done.
- When you’ve got some forehead lines you want to zap, try this yoga move: with both your hands, press your forehead so that your fingertips are facing each other. Fan your fingers across your forehead, and dab pressure with your fingertips all over it. Repeat this 10 times, then relax.
Eat For Smoother Skin
Eating a healthy diet is a crucial part of keeping wrinkles away, so make sure you top up on these wrinkle fighters regularly.
- Antioxidant-rich foods, such as blueberries. They increase skin cell turnover so that younger and brighter skin can be revealed.
- Spinach. It’s got important nutrients to keep skin healthy and protected from sun damage, such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E and beta-carotene.
- High Vitamin E foods, such as pecan nuts. Their Vitamin E content keeps free radicals out of the picture so skin is healthy and firm.
And remember, sometimes taking a break from the screen can be a great thing – not just for your skin but to refresh your mind, too. So go on and get some fresh air.
Image credit: kazzakova /Dollar Photo Club